We are looking for a TypeScript Engineer to join our remote-first team, in a New Zealand-friendly timezone. You will be working on products to improve the healthcare experience for millions of patients and care teams.
🫀 Vital builds software for care teams & patients, with a focus on the Emergency Room experience. We use AI/ML to reduce length of stay, save millions by increasing doctors’ and nurses’ productivity, and keep patients safe & happy.
🏥 There are more than 140 million visits to the ER every year in the US. Our mission is to improve the healthcare experience for these patients.
Vital + Engineering
- We build and maintain features using a modern, serverless stack. All of our infrastructure rests within the AWS cloud, with our preference being AWS Managed Services, allowing our engineers to build products rather than maintain servers. Our products consist of mobile web applications (React + GraphQL) backed by DynamoDB, Cognito, and TypeScript Lambdas. We ingest millions of events from core healthcare systems using Scala Lambdas and Kinesis. Insights and business metrics utilize a Redshift-based Data Lake with AWS Glue operating our ETL workflows. API Gateway powers our internal and external RESTful APIs.
- Code is deployed to production multiple times every day, using advanced CI/CD techniques, with multiple layers of automated testing and code analysis in place. Feature flagging is our preferred method of roll-out, allowing us to validate new features & enhancements. We prefer to catch potential issues as early as possible, so we continuously invest in our Developer Experience tooling.
- Engineers build, maintain, and support shared services. As such, all of our engineering team (yes, including leadership) participate in our on-call roster.
- Work is prioritized using a Kanban approach (we tend away from fixed length sprints), and we constantly improve our approach & methodology as needed. Features are launched in phased approaches, following validation with our end users.
- Our team have adopted asynchronous communication as our preferred form of working together. We eschew unnecessary meetings, write documentation, draft idea documents, and utilize the Slack "Do Not Disturb" functionality.
Vital + You
- We're looking for great engineers. A great engineer doesn't need to necessarily have experience with technologies we use, we can teach that. Curiosity and drive are important, as every day you'll constantly be improving and learning.
- Some work experience from previous roles is required. We're looking for engineers that have had the highs and lows of success and failure. Failures are often full of good lessons, we want you to bring these lessons to Vital.
- This role requires canny and innovative software design. A strong mathematical foundation is important, along with a Computer Science background. A university, polytechnic, or college qualification is a good indication but we are flexible for a candidate with strong fundamental knowledge.
- You'll be making important decisions on a regular basis. We've got a good support structure of leads and software architects to assist with the hard ones. Our preference is for pragmatism, rather than idealism.
- Communication is important, especially in a remote-first team. You need to be proficient in English, both written and verbal.
- Grow your skills! We will provide you with opportunities to grow professionally, and we expect you to contribute positively to our team, tools, and processes.
- We're pushing the bounds of healthcare software. Our team is quick moving, full of energy, and constantly striving for innovation. It's a truly awesome environment to work within. As we're a startup, this role gives you the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a rapidly growing company where you can have a large impact.
- Diversity, inclusion, and respect are important to us. Every team member must abide by our shared code of conduct. We don't tolerate "brilliant jerks" at Vital.
- We're constantly improving our systems and processes, and you'll be expected to continue to shape this as we journey together.
- We prefer working smarter, not longer. You're not expected to put in wild hours, that's just not what we do.
- You'll get a competitive salary.
We also provide great benefits to our team:
- Every team member at Vital gets to share in our success in the form of stock options.
- Four weeks of annual leave for our team, ensuring you can take vacations as you need.
- Paid leave for new parents.
- Our "hubs" are dog-friendly and we even run regular dog social sessions.
Hiring @ Vital
Once you've made a decision on applying for this role (if you're reading this, it's probably a good sign), then use the "Apply Now" link to fill out an application. We want to ensure that there is a good fit on both sides, as taking a new role is a big decision. Once we've received your application, we'll send through some technical challenges and puzzles for you to work through in your own time (they shouldn't take too long to complete). From there, we work through various interviews with our team, as follows:
- Culture & Screening. This is with our Head of Engineering.
- Technical. This is with fellow engineers. We make use of a mixture of different exercises including whiteboard problem solving and working through some code together on your own device (we can provide a device if needed).
- CEO. This is with our CEO, Aaron Patzer.