🫀 Vital builds software for care teams & patients, with a focus on the Emergency Room (ER) experience. We use AI/ML to reduce length of stay, save millions by increasing doctors’ and nurses’ productivity, and keep patients safe & happy.
💡 We provide hospitals with a modern UI and AI layer, which we're able to deploy within a matter of days.
🏥 There are more than 140 million visits to the ER every year in the US. Our mission is to improve the healthcare experience for these patients.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Data Science team at Vital, reporting directly to the Head of Data Science.
You will be joining a small team at the heart of a rapidly growing company. ML is at the core of what we do at Vital. You will take ownership of our internal ML platform, develop novel research tools and collaborate on prototyping data-focused products.
We are looking for a candidate who is excited to be confronted with new challenges each day. The role comes with significant autonomy, and involves responding to the changing requirements of an early-stage startup. We want you to have opinions, take ownership, and feel that your work has a significant impact on a company which you partly own.
- Development of our in-house machine learning platform, integrating with Amazon SageMaker.
- Development of our in-house exploratory data analysis research platform.
- Collaborating with our backend team in order to deliver ML predictions to production.
- Collaborating with the rest of the Data Science team on prototyping and development of new data products.
- Integrating with our data engineering team to make data available for research.
- We’re working on problems which have a real impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, patients get better care.
- Diversity, inclusion, and respect are important to us. Every team member must abide by our shared code of conduct.
- Every team member at Vital gets to share in our success in the form of stock options.
- We provide four weeks of annual leave for our team, ensuring you can take vacations as you need.
- We provide paid leave for new parents.
- We provide great health insurance, and pay all the premiums.
You need to have these
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM subject.
- 4+ years' software development experience in Python.
- Experience with UNIX-like environments.
- Experience with SQL-based databases.
- Experience with modern software practices including automated testing and continuous delivery.
- An ownership mentality, and the desire to take on heterogeneous challenges.
NOTE: The hours for this role overlap with our team in New Zealand. Specifically, we need you to be online from 9-11am New Zealand time. Of course, we’re happy for you to start your day later in order to accommodate.
It would be great if you had some of these
Some additional skills which we’d find useful if you have them, but should not affect your decision to apply:
- Experience with Pandas and NumPy.
- Experience with AWS managed services, especially SageMaker / Redshift / DynamoDB / Lambda / Glue.
- Experience with Scala.
- Experience with big data tools, especially Spark / Presto and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with machine learning libraries such as Scikit-Learn and statsmodels.
- Experience with deep learning libraries such as TensorFlow, PyTorch and HuggingFace Transformers.
Hiring @ Vital
Does this role and organisation seem like a good opportunity for you? If so, have a read of our code of conduct, then use the "Apply Now" link to fill out an application. Once we've received your application, we'll send through some technical challenges and puzzles for you to work through in your own time (they shouldn't take too long to complete). From there, we will be in touch.
If you qualify for a role at Vital, we'll invite you to a round of interviews. There are three stages to our interview process, as follows:
- Culture & Screening. This is where you introduce yourself, and we introduce ourselves and the company, explaining what we're about, why we're doing what we're doing, and the type of person we're looking for.
- Technical. This is where we'll sit with you to talk about technical problems relevant to the role you're applying for, looking to see if you can demonstrate the skills required to fulfil the role.
- Executive. This is where you get to meet our leadership team and ask questions about the company and its founders/leadership team.
We are committed to providing all candidates with constructive feedback during this process.
Vital is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and celebrate authenticity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristics.