Vital is modern software for hospital emergency departments & patients. We use AI/ML and great design to reduce length of stay. We save millions by increasing doctors’ and nurses’ productivity, and we keep patients safe & happy. There are more than 500 million visits to the ED every year in the US. Our goal is to improve the healthcare experience for these patients.
We are building a mission-focused, inclusive, and motivated team to scale our product to more patients. We are a remote-first organisation with hubs in Auckland, Atlanta, and New York. Vital is backed by prominent investors in healthcare, and founded by Aaron Patzer and Dr. Justin Schrager.
Quality is an integral facet of engineering at Vital, and the Quality Engineering team is responsible for supporting and guiding Engineering in meeting the high level of quality required to deploy software into hospital emergency rooms.
- As a Quality Engineer at Vital, you’ll provide a quality perspective and support the development and operation of software for hospital emergency rooms.
- You’ll be responsible alongside other Quality Engineers for creating and maintaining processes that support quality work within the Engineering team. For example, the Quality Engineering team at Vital owns Incident Response Training, and runs training exercises monthly with on-call engineers.
- You’ll have a good theoretical and practical understanding of software development from a lens of quality.
- Reliability is critical at Vital, and you’ll be working in the context of a live production system directly used by expert healthcare care teams, their patients, and patients' families.
Most of our requirements are flexible for the right candidate:
- We are looking for intermediate to senior Quality Engineers with experience in testing web applications, preferably at scale. We’d like you to have several years of experience.
- Our applications are cloud-based in AWS with a modern serverless architecture. Experience with this kind of architecture would be an advantage. Having experience in how different software architectures lead to different quality issues is also a plus.
- Your experience may be under a different title than ‘engineer’. Vital appreciates that experience in quality engineering involves technical software testing skills alongside or outside of automation and/or coding.
We acknowledge that those who work in the software quality space come from a variety of backgrounds and bring different perspectives to the role. We are looking for your practical experiences rather than your credentials or qualifications.
The right candidate will have seen a few different things in their career so far and will be able to:
- Talk about times you have worked closely with other roles in software engineering on a shared goal.
- Talk about times where you have escalated quality concerns.
- Discuss how compliance and security overlaps with quality.
- Demonstrate ongoing learning and knowledge of software testing techniques, especially bridging from theory to practice.
- Talk about an initiative you started in an engineering team; and whether it ultimately succeeded or not, how you tracked the impact on quality.
- Be able to teach others a particular skill or speciality within software quality you have developed expertise in.
Who You Are
- You have a growth mindset and drive for improving quality.
- You possess a strong bias towards safety and quality; when you see something concerning, you don’t wait for permission before acting to remedy it.
- You are comfortable with and embrace uncertainty. You help to bring certainty through investigation and exploration.
- You work well with other, high-calibre team members.
- You want to make a real difference in healthcare.
- As a startup, a role at Vital gives you the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a rapidly growing company where you can have a large impact on our engineering culture.
- You’ll have the autonomy and independence to make important decisions, while supported by a brilliant and enthusiastic team.
- Vital is a remote-first organisation with a dog-friendly hub in Auckland which is close to public transport, a variety of great restaurants and bars, and is stocked with a coffee machine, snacks, and drinks.
- You’ll be joining an organisation that embraces and values inclusion and diversity.
- Take ownership of your work - literally. Vital offers share options to employees.