Vital is software for hospital Emergency Departments & patients. We use AI to reduce length of stay, save millions by increasing doctors’ and nurses’ productivity, and keep patients safe & happy. There are more than 140 million visits to the ED every year in the US. Our goal is to improve the healthcare experience for these patients.
We are building a mission-focused, inclusive, and motivated team to scale our product to more patients. Based primarily in Auckland, New Zealand we also have offices in Atlanta and New York. Vital is backed by prominent investors in healthcare, and founded by Aaron Patzer and Dr. Justin Schrager.
As Head of Data Science, you will be responsible for growing a team of healthcare data scientists and researchers, building a platform for scalable supervised and unsupervised healthcare AI/ML, and working closely with Vital's medical research team on publications and peer-validated science.
- Develop predictive models for emergency room operations (probability of admission, wait times, visit volume and bottlenecks), patient behavior (left-without-being-seen, violence) and clinical scenarios (sepsis detection, likely imaging/labs/medications needed).
- You will work with a rich, proprietary dataset along with clinical researchers (MDs and PhDs) to develop models served on Vital’s real-time prediction platform. You will also work on the platform itself so that new vital signs, lab results, and clinical notes update possible outcomes
- A passion for healthcare, and a goal to (statistically speaking) save lives and make hospitals better
- Experience with DL4J, Keras, Torch or Tensorflow to build neural networks for everything from multi-label logistic regression to CNNs and RNNs.
- Proven experience in natural language processing and vectorization
- Deep algorithms knowledge of graph traversal, decision trees, Bayes networks.
- Bonus: algorithms for anomaly and outlier detection
- When to use deterministic algorithms vs. machine learning
- Comfort in data cleansing and normalization. Anyone who knows data science knows this is a big part of the job.
- Masters in EE/CS/Math/Stats or above.
- Be on the ground floor of a rapidly growing company.
- Craft the culture of engineering and data science at Vital.
- Have the autonomy to build something with a brilliant and enthusiastically supportive team.